You should never give these foods to a dog
What is well tolerated by us humans can be extremely unhealthy for dogs – or even toxic. A lot of food should therefore remain on your own plate and not end up in the dog’s mouth. Even if the pleading dog look is still so convincing. We present the greatest dangers
The head is tilted, the posture is submissive and the big wide eyes stare at you almost beseechingly – you could think the dog is about to die of starvation. Dog owners know the famous dog look only too well, which every four-legged friend masters to perfection and which ensures that master or mistress can hardly eat a meal without feeling a guilty conscience.
The temptation to give the dog something from your own plate – or to “accidentally” drop it under the table – is just too great. But even if the dog would be only too happy to act as a leftovers user, care should be taken when feeding food. Many seemingly harmless foods contain substances that can cause serious damage to some animals and even lead to death through poisoning.
Grapes and Raisins
Although not all dogs react to grapes and raisins with discomfort or symptoms of poisoning, it is better not to try the effects of grapes on your own dog in the first place. Eating grapes can cause the animals to vomit and diarrhea, even leading to fatal kidney failure. The reason for this are the ingredients contained in the grapes, which are intolerable for many dogs and whose concentration in raisins is even higher due to the drying process.
According to US scientists, just ten grams of grapes or three grams of raisins per body weight can cause symptoms of poisoning – so even small amounts are dangerous, especially for small dog breeds.
Even if dogs often sit in the kitchen with a watchful eye while cooking and devour the meat on the cutting board with their eyes, the raw meat should never be given to the four-legged friend.
Raw meat is not inherently dangerous for dogs. However, uncooked or undercooked meat can contain the Aujeszky virus, which is harmless to humans and can lead to nerve and brain inflammation in dogs and can be fatal. Typical symptoms in dogs after infection with the virus are similar to those of rabies, which is why the virus is also known as “pseudo-rabies”. In addition, raw meat can contain bacteria such as salmonella or trichinella.
xylitol or birch sugar
It should come as no surprise that sugar is unhealthy for dogs as well as for us humans and makes you fat. However, various sugar substitutes and sweeteners that are contained in many sweets are really dangerous for dogs. The xylitol it contains – often referred to as xylitol or E 967 – can trigger a massive release of insulin in a dog’s body, which is followed by an extreme drop in blood sugar. This can lead to symptoms such as cramps and lack of coordination, but it can also cause liver damage and, in severe cases, lead to the death of the animal.
Xylitol is nothing more than birch sugar, which the food industry likes to market as a particularly natural, tooth-friendly and low-calorie sugar substitute. Excessive consumption can have a laxative effect on people. Birch sugar and foods containing xylitol should therefore be kept out of the reach of dogs.
onion and garlic
Onion plants such as onions and garlic are not for the dog’s stomach, whether they are raw, cooked or dried. The reason for this is the sulfur they contain, which destroys the dog’s red blood cells (erythrocytes).
Possible consequences, such as blood in the urine and jaundice, can occur even after consuming small amounts. A medium-sized onion can be fatal to a small dog (about ten pounds).
Poultry bones and cooked bones
Dogs love to nibble and gnaw on animal bones. Chewing is a demanding occupation and trains the jaw muscles. However, not all bones are suitable for dogs and the size of the bone should also be tailored to the respective dog – otherwise there is a risk of an oversupply of calcium and constipation.