Budgerigars: the aviator fitness menu
Budgies are conservative: they only eat what they know. That is why house birds should be fed a balanced diet from an early age. However, if they are already more fat than fit, the only thing that helps is patience and letting the grass grow over them. It’s worth trying.
By nature, budgies are seed eaters. Their Australian menu features mainly grasses in all stages of development – from the delicate seedling to buds and mature seeds.
The daily bread
As “daily bread” a housemate gets two teaspoons of a wholesome, i.e. germinable seed mixture with millet and shine (both cultivated grasses) per day. The ability to germinate can be easily tested: you place around 100 grains on a warm, damp cloth and count them after about 36 hours – at least 70 percent should then show signs of germination.
Green fodder to compensate for unripe grasses
To compensate for the immature stages of the grass with its high content of vitamins, minerals and proteins, it also needs the best green fodder, picked from nature or from the vegetable stand. Depending on the season, these include organic lettuce, endive, arugula, spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard, carrot slices and apple pieces. In the spring dandelions and the first sprouting grasses. Of course, the greens are thoroughly washed and dabbed dry before consumption. Fresh chickweed can be offered fresh all year round.
Fresh green from the meadow
In any case, fresh is the magic word. Half-ripe grasses from native (unfertilized and unsprayed) meadows and field borders, such as cocksfoot or meadowgrass (harvest time June to September), even convince green food haters. Hung in bunches on the lattice, hardly anyone can resist. You either collect them outside or simply sow the grass seeds in flower pots yourself.
Healthy snacking fun
Germinated seeds (soak the usual mixture of grains in water, leave to soak for 24 hours, rinse well) also taste good and are full of vitamins. But be careful, seedlings spoil easily – the remains have to be removed after four hours at the latest. In addition to pedicures, twigs with buds – willow, birch and beech – also serve as healthy snacks.
- Kanarienvögel sind bekannt und beliebt für ihren schönen Gesang
- Canaries are known and loved for their beautiful singing
- Kanaryalar güzel şarkı söylemeleriyle tanınır ve sevilir
- Wellensittiche sind sehr beliebt
- Muhabbet kuşları çok popüler
- Budgies are very popular
- Kaninchen: Vieh, Käfig, Scheune und Gehege
- Rabbits: husbandry, cage, stall and enclosure
- Tavşanlar: hayvancılık, kafes, ahır ve muhafaza
- Hamsterallergie, was kann man dagegen tun?
- Hamster Alerjisi, Bu Konuda Ne Yapabilirsiniz?
- Hamster Allergy, What Can You Do About It?
- Was ist niedlicher als ein Shetlandpony?
- What’s cuter than a Shetland Pony?
- Shetland Midillisinden daha sevimli olan nedir?